You can register for IELTS quickly and easily through Online Registration Service. You can also visit our British Coucil offices and IELTS Registration Points to get registered.
To register, simply follow the steps below:
1. Read the information for candidates
Download and read the Information for Candidates which contains important information about the test format, the question types and the test results. Please note that IELTS is not recommended for candidates under the age of 16.
2. Decide which version of the test is right for you
There are two versions of the IELTS test:
IELTS General Training
Read our simple guide to help you decide which version of the test is right for you.
3. Check the IELTS test dates
There are a limited number of places for all our IELTS test sessions. To make sure you get a place, we recommend that you register two months before your chosen test date. Of course, places may be available after this date. You can use our Online Registration System to find up-to-date information about test dates and availability. You can also check this page for information on test dates, fees and locations.
Please note: Your Listening, Reading and Writing test will be completed on the date of test. Your Speaking test may be offered on the same day, or up to a week before or after your main test date. You will receive your individual speaking test schedule at least 2 days in advance of your Speaking test.
4. Register online
Use our Online Registration System to book your place on the test.
Please ensure you are able to provide the documents in step 5 and are able to pay using one of the payment methods in step 6.
5. Prepare and send your documents
Please make sure you send us ALL of the following documents when you register for your test:
- printout of your online application form or copy of your acknowledgement email (that you receive after completing online registration)
- copy of your valid passport
- bank payment slip.
6. Choose your payment options
The IELTS test fee is Tk14,500. You can pay for your test in one of the following ways:
i) Payment in SCB Service 1 Branches.
ii) With a bank draft made payable to 'British Council'
iii) At one of our IELTS registration centres.
iv) Online account transfer for SCB Account holders
Find out our bank details: A/C Name: British Council, A/C Number: 01- 751 2856 - 01
In the REFERENCE section of your payment please write: [IELTS / family name / city / test date] e.g. IELTS/Ahmed/Dhaka/10July14
- Once you have made the payment, please send us the bank transfer receipt or online bank transfer acknowledgement information slip with the rest of your registration documents
7. Complete your registration
Print the Application Summary at the end of the registration process (or the email you receive after registration).
- Send all documents from step 5 and your Application Summary to the address below:
5 Fuller Road, Dhaka 1000.
We need to receive all documents within 3 working days of your online registration. Unfortunately, if we do not receive documents within 3 working days your application will be cancelled.
We cannot process incomplete applications, so please make sure you have sent us all the necessary information.
Copies of your results
If you would like your results to be sent to universities or other educational institutions, please enter the relevant addresses in the appropriate fields on the online registration form. We can issue a maximum of five copies per student.
8. After you register
After registering you will receive an automatic email with your access codes to the free online course: Road to IELTS.
- We will send you a confirmation email at least two days before your tests giving you the start time of your test and the venue address
For more information please contact our Exams Services at email@example.com
IELTS is designed to be a fair test and your English language ability will be assessed objectively, regardless of any special needs that you may have.
We can help you with any special arrangements you require for your test. For example, we offer support for people with visual impairments, hearing difficulties and dyslexia.
Please contact us three months in advance of your test date to find out how you can apply for special arrangements.
If you want to request a refund, please read our refund policy prior to making a request.
You can apply for a refund:
- If you cancel your registration at least five weeks before the test date, you will receive a refund of the test fee, minus Tk 2,000 administration fee.
- If you cancel your registration within five weeks or less of the test date, you will not receive a refund unless you can provide appropriate evidence to support your cancellation. If you want to do this, please complete and submit a Request for Refund Form along with the supporting evidence. We will need to receive your request and supporting evidence at least five days before the test date.
Test day transfers
If you want to transfer to a different test date, you need to notify us at least five weeks prior to the test session you have registered for. To do this, please complete and submit a Request for Transfer Form.