Exam retakes and enquiry about results

Candidates sometimes don’t get the results that they hoped for. If this happens to you, try not to worry too much. Your results may still still open up many different exciting opportunities for your further education and future career. 

However, in some cases, you may want to consider re-marking or retakes – for example, if you or your teacher predicted a much higher grade. 

Retake an exam

If you or your teachers think that you could achieve better grades, you can choose to re-take your exam. 

What is a retake?

An exam counts as a retake if you have sat the same syllabus in the past year. 

The May-June 2016 deadline to apply for retakes for Cambridge International Examinations students is August 26, 2016.

What you need to do

If you are a school candidate you need to speak to your school exams co-ordinator. If you are a private candidate please contact the British Council for further assistance.  

Please note: the retake option may not apply to all subjects. You can usually submit previously used coursework so you will only need to retake written exams. Any coursework that is resubmitted needs to meet the requirements of the syllabus in the new exam series and must be re-assessed.

Enquiry About Results (EAR)

If you are a school student and believe that your exam results are incorrect, you should talk to your teacher. If your teacher agrees that you should request a re-mark, you will need to contact your school or the British Council.

Remarking Deadline for November 2016 session

Cambridge International Examinations - 15 February 2017

If you are a Cambridge International Examinations candidate, you need to fill in the EAR application form that can be downloaded from here

Remarking Deadline for Pearson Edexcel January 2017 session

Pearson Edexcel - 2 April 2017

If you are a Pearson Edexcel candidate you can fill in the Enquiry About Results form online.  

Remember: your grade and mark may be lowered, confirmed or raised following the enquiry. If your grade is raised, you may be entitled to a full refund for this service.