Globally connected, locally engaged
What is the Active Citizens programme?
Active Citizens programme aims to bring about sustainable social change within communities by establishing a global network of leaders. Our purpose is to increase the contribution of community leaders towards achieving sustainable development both locally and globally.
We work with people who have already demonstrated local social responsibility, including youth workers, women’s groups, educators and faith leaders. We offer these participants training to develop their leadership skills and provide them the chance to gain a global perspective on social development.
Learn more about the programme and be inspired by the achievements of our Active Citizens on the Active Citizens website.
Active Citizens in Bangladesh
Active Citizens in Bangladesh gives participants the confidence to make a difference in their communities.
The programme enhances leadership and project-management skills of local influencers. They receive specialist guidance in designing and running social action projects, which aim to generate positive change within their community. Participants also benefit from peer support via connections made within the global Active Citizens network. To date, we have trained more than 16,000 youth leaders in nearly 300 communities in 44 districts across Bangladesh.
By joining this programme participants will be able to:
- develop a strong sense of their own culture and identity through engagement with other cultures
- have an increased knowledge and understanding of how their local community works and its links to the rest of the world
- take action to improve society through sustainable initiatives
- work effectively with diverse groups of people
- become skilled in cross cultural communication and dialogue, and its effective role in community action
- work together to address global issues.
Active Citizens in Bangladesh has initiated more than 1,100 Social Action Projects across the country on themes ranging from illiteracy eradication to opposing violence against women. Read about some of the projects on our Active Citizens Bangladesh Facebook page.