IELTS is the world’s most widely accepted English language test for study, work, and migration. It is recognised by over 11,000 organisations worldwide, with over 3.5 million tests taken globally in the last year.
IELTS is recognised across the globe
Recognised in more than 140 countries and trusted by top organisations for giving an accurate assessment of English language proficiency, IELTS is the key to unlocking global success.
Why take IELTS with the British Council?
With over 80 years of experience in English language assessment, the British Council helps you achieve your goal by offering you a range of free test preparation materials and a smooth test experience.
- Preparation resources: With Road to IELTS, you can access practice tests, expert advice, and informative videos to enhance your study experience. The last-minute version of Road To IELTS is free for all who have registered for IELTS with the British Council. GEL IELTS Prep is available exclusively for British Council 'IELTS for UKVI' test takers.
- Widespread testing locations: The British Council offers wide access to test locations, making it easy to find a convenient location to take your IELTS test.
- Options to take IELTS on paper or computer: With the British Council, you can choose the format that best suits your preferences.
- Easy booking process: Booking an IELTS test with the British Council is simple and straightforward.
- Seamless test experience: When you take the IELTS test with the British Council, you can expect an overall smooth and stress-free experience from start to finish.
Explore inspiring stories from IELTS test takers with the British Council
"IELTS is widely recognised and trustworthy."
Rui Mao, Institute of Mental Health, IELTS score 7.5 (Australia)
“An IELTS result was required for my scholarship application.”
Dwi Rini Hartati, Ministry of Public Works and Housing, IELTS score 6.5 (The Netherlands)
“IELTS opened the door for me to be able to study abroad. I became more confident in my English ability, which helped me integrate better within the academic community.”
Andrea Denise Ong (UK)
“Practising for IELTS has helped me enhance my English communication skills even more and has prepared me for my life as a student in Canada.”
Faith Aileen Parez (Canada)