5 weeks full-time / 10 weeks part-time
About this courseCourse details
If you're looking for internationally recognised qualifications from Cambridge University, these are the courses for you. CELTA is aimed at those with little or no experience of teaching English as a foreign language.
How is CELTA delivered?
On the CELTA course you will:
- attend input sessions covering all aspects of teaching English as a second language
- benefit from directed lesson planning and tutorial support
- complete six hours of assessed teaching practice
- get constructive feedback on your teaching practice from your tutors and peers
- complete four assessed assignments (750-1000 words each)
- have the opportunity to observe experienced ELT professionals (six hours in total).
CELTA Course outline:
- Six hours of observations of experienced British Council teachers at work at our Fuller Road Teaching Centre
- Six hours of individual, assessed teaching practice
- One individual tutorial with a course tutor
- 120 contact hours between candidates and tutors in total, including input, tutorials, supervised lesson planning, and feedback on teaching practice
- 120 additional learning hours for pre-course preparation, reading, research, assignment writing, lesson preparation & record keeping.
By the end of the course you will have:
- a professional, internationally recognised qualification in English Language Teaching to Adults
- a solid foundation in planning and teaching
- the techniques and tools for effective teaching
- been guided through your own development as a teacher
- an awareness of different approaches to ensure student-centred teaching.
Why take this courseGlobal recognition
If you want a professional, internationally recognised qualification in English language teaching to adults, this is the course for you. It is a practical, work-related qualification aimed at graduates or other suitably qualified applicants who have little or no previous teaching experience.
INTERNATIONAL RECOGNITION AND QUALITY ASSURANCE
CELTA is one of the most widely-recognised and highly respected qualifications for English language teaching. It is awarded by the University of Cambridge English, which ensures quality. Its international reputation also increases opportunities to teach overseas, and the CELTA qualification is recognised the world over.
GAIN KNOWLEDGE AND PRACTICAL TEACHING SKILLS
The CELTA course at the British Council is a highly practical course which will help you develop confidence in the classroom. You will find out about the latest communicative teaching methodologies and have the opportunity to put these into practice in the classroom with real students.
LEARN IN A SUPPORTIVE ENVIRONMENT
We have a worldwide reputation for excellence and our experienced and dedicated teacher trainers will support and guide you to develop as a confident and professional teacher of English.
Through input sessions, supervised practice teaching with real adult learners and observation of British Council teachers, you will gain a solid, practical foundation in planning and teaching, using a student-centred approach.
To ensure participants have the best possible chance of success, we have a multi-stage selection procedure for this course. As demand is high and places are allocated to successful applicants on a first-come-first-served basis, it is important to submit your application as early as possible.
If you are offered a place, you need to register in good time to be able to complete your pre-course tasks.
- be at least 18 (it is generally recommended that candidates should be over the age of 20)
- have an awareness of language and a competence in both written and spoken English, which will enable them to undertake the course and prepare for teaching a range of levels (The recommended candidate language level is IELTS 7.5+ / C2 on the CEFR)
- have the potential to develop the necessary skills to become an effective teacher and to complete the written assignments and practice teaching successfully
- normally have a standard of education equivalent to that required for entry to higher education.
CELTA SYLLABUS AND ASSESSMENT GUIDELINES
Download the guidelines from Cambridge English for Teaching website.
Timetable and course feeImportant information
These courses will be delivered 100 per cent online to help you develop your English teaching skills from the comfort of your home.
26 December 2020 – 3 March 2021
|Course is now full|
30 January 2021 - 8 April 2021
*Application deadline Monday 5 April 2021
|Part-time||Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday||17.00 – 21.30||130,000 BDT|
Candidates must pay a 20 per cent deposit of the course fees to secure a place on the course. The deposit is non-refundable.
For the remaining course fees, candidate must pay:
- 40 per cent of the course fees on or before the first day of the course
- 40 per cent of the course fees by the end of the second week on a full-time course or the end of the first month on a part-time course.