You can register for regular IELTS quickly and easily through Online Registration Service.
Please note that there are websites pretending to be British Council IELTS registration sites. They are not associated with us and we are not responsible for the content on those sites.
If you are taking an IELTS UKVI or Life Skills (A1 or B1) exam then you can register through Online Registration Service for IELTS UKVI. You can also visit our British Coucil offices and IELTS Registration Points to get registered.
To register, simply follow the steps below:
1. Read the information for candidates
Download and read the Information for Candidates which contains important information about the test format, the question types and the test results. Please note that IELTS is not recommended for candidates under the age of 16.
2. Decide which version of the test is right for you
There are two versions of the IELTS test:
IELTS General Training
Read our simple guide to help you decide which version of the test is right for you.
3. Check the IELTS test dates
There are a limited number of places for all our IELTS test sessions. To make sure you get a place, we recommend that you register three weeks before your chosen test date. Of course, places may be available after this date. You can use our Online Registration System for regular IELTS or Online Registration System for UKVI IELTS to find up-to-date information about test dates and availability. You can also check this page for information on test dates, fees and locations.
Please note: Couple of days before your test date we will send you an e-mail with your speaking exam schedule and the test venue details. Please note that this email will be sent only few days prior to your exam date and at least 2 days prior to your scheduled speaking exam date. Your speaking exam date is usually scheduled very close to the ‘Listening’, ‘Reading’, and ‘Writing’ test.
4. Register online
Please ensure you are are able to pay using one of the payment methods in step 5 and provide the documents in step 6.
5. Choose your payment options
The IELTS test fee is BDT 15,800 (from January 2016) for regular IELTS, BDT 20,600 for UKVI IELTS, and BDT 15,450 for IELTS Life Skills. You can pay for your test in one of the following ways:
i) Payment in Standard Chartered Bank Service 1 Branches.
ii) With a bank draft made payable to 'British Council'
iii) At one of our IELTS registration centres.
iv) Online account transfer for SCB Account holders - Find out our bank details: A/C Name: British Council, A/C Number: 01- 751 2856 - 01. In the REFERENCE section of your payment please write: [IELTS / family name / city / test date] e.g. IELTS/Ahmed/Dhaka/10July14. Once you have made the payment, please send us the bank transfer receipt or online bank transfer acknowledgement information slip with the rest of your registration documents
6. Prepare and send your documents
Please make sure you send us ALL of the following documents when you register for your test:
- print-out of your online application form or copy of your acknowledgement email (that you receive after completing online registration)
- copy of your valid passport
- bank payment slip
7. Complete your registration
Please attach all the documents mentioned in Step 6 and either drop them in the drop-box kept in the Standard Chartered Bank Service 1 Branch or submit them at one of our offices mentioned below.
Dhaka Main Office
5 Fuller Road, Dhaka 1000
Opening Hours: Saturday to Thursday 9:00 to 17:00
Chittagong Main Office
Rafique Tower, 8th Floor, 92 Agrabad C/A Chittagong
Opening Hours: Saturday to Thursday 10:00 to 17:00
Sylhet Main Office
Surma Hall, Level-4 Rose View Hotel, Commercial Plot No-2, Block-D, Shahjalal Uposhahar
Opening Hours: Sunday to Thursday 9:00 to 17:00
We need to receive all documents within 3 working days of your online registration. Unfortunately, if we do not receive documents within 3 working days your application will be cancelled.
We cannot process incomplete applications, so please make sure you have sent us all the necessary information.
8. After you register
After you have paid the fee and submitted the required documents it will take about 5 working days for us to collect them and update our database. You will then receive a confirmation e-mail and will be able to use free online practice materials of Road to IELTS. You will have to login to the following link using your email address and registration reference number. You will find a login button under 'Preparation Materials' tab - https://ielts.britishcouncil.org/CandidateLogin.aspx
- Couple of days before your test date we will send you an e-mail with your speaking exam schedule and the test venue details. Please note that this email will be sent only few days prior to your exam date and at least 2 days prior to your scheduled speaking exam date. Your speaking exam date is usually scheduled very close to the ‘Listening’, ‘Reading’, and ‘Writing’ test.
For more information please contact our Exams Services at firstname.lastname@example.org
IELTS is designed to be a fair test and your English language ability will be assessed objectively, regardless of any special needs that you may have.
We can help you with any special arrangements you require for your test. For example, we offer support for people with visual impairments, hearing difficulties and dyslexia.
Please contact us three months in advance of your test date to find out how you can apply for special arrangements.
If you want to request a refund, please read our refund policy given below prior to making a request.
You can apply for a refund:
- If you cancel your registration at least five weeks before the test date, you will receive a refund of the test fee, minus administration fee of BDT 3900 for regular IELTS or BDT 5000 for UKVI IELTS or BDT 3800 for Life Skills.
- If you cancel your registration within five weeks or less of the test date, you will not receive a refund unless you can provide appropriate evidence to support your cancellation. If you want to do this, please complete and submit a Request for Refund Form along with the supporting evidence. We will need to receive your request and supporting evidence at least five days before the test date.
Test day transfers
If you want to transfer to a different test date, you need to notify us at least five weeks prior to the test session you have registered for. To do this, please complete and submit a Request for Transfer Form.