IELTS Academic – get ready for a higher education environment
The IELTS Academic test measures whether you have the level of English language proficiency needed for an academic, higher education environment, including when you want to study in the UK, Canada, Australia, the USA and many other countries. The IELTS Academic test reflects some of the features of academic language and assesses whether you are ready to begin studying or training.
Take this test if you want to:
- study at either undergraduate or postgraduate level anywhere in the world
- study in the UK and apply for Student route Visa at a university that is a Student route Sponsor in the UK
- apply for a UK work visa, or work in a professional organisation in an English speaking country.
You can take the IELTS Academic test on paper or on a computer at one of our official British Council IELTS test centres.
If you need a visa for working or studying in the UK, then in some cases you may need to take IELTS for UK Visas and Immigration (IELTS for UKVI) or IELTS Life Skills.
Fee for IELTS Academic: BDT 22,500
What does the fee include? Our IELTS test fee includes exclusive preparation materials, free practice tests and much more.
Duration: 2 hours and 45 minutes (Listening, Reading and Writing) + 11-14 minutes (Speaking)
Format: There are four sections to the test: Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking. When you book your IELTS test with the British Council, the test will take place in an official British Council IELTS test centre, whether you take the test on paper or on a computer. The marking for different formats of IELTS Academic is also the same.
If you take your test on paper, your Speaking test may be offered:
- on the same day as the other sections of the test
- a day before (on Friday, when the main test day is on Saturday)
- a day after (on Friday, when the main test date is on Thursday).
You will receive notification about your Speaking test date a week in advance. If you take your test on a computer, you have a free choice of Speaking test dates.